BUY NEW IN DUBAI
Wolfi’s Bike Shop Al Quoz
Revolution Cycles AT MOTORCITY
Ride Bike Shop (Giant Cycles brand)
The Cycle Hub at Motorcity
Probike LLC near Mall of Emirates
Adventure HQ Times square
Decathlon in Mirdiff city center
Many of these bike dealers organise clubs and rides, so they do definitely add value and expertise to the cycling community. A deeper review of our Local Bike Shops (LBS) as well as the cycling clubs will be added soon.
SECOND HAND BIKES
- Is it the right size for you?
- Has it been crashed/damaged or not serviced.
- Are the gears, chain, wheels, bearings, tyres all in good condition or worn.
- Does it feature an older groupset (gears and brakes) which has a lot to do with it’s value.
- Do you get any warranty or support.
IMPORTING BIKES AND KIT
- Giant Defy Advanced bicycles from Australia (or indeed any Giant bike), usually the dealers do at least 10-15% discount on published prices. Note they but do not ship. I brought mine back as checked luggage, on an Aussie holiday and got the 10% GST back as well. As an example my bike cost AED10,600 the Dubai list price for the same bike is AED24,999.
- PlanetX in the UK does some good bikes like the RT58 and will ship to the UAE.
- There are other great bike deals in the UK (especially in Winter), have a look at Evans Cycles, Wiggle and Merlin all remove VAT, bike shipping starts to the UAE at around £85, generally they go to Karama Post Office, which is not that big a problem.
- Evans Cycles, Wiggle and Merlin are among the UK’s go to places for bikes clothing and parts. As mentioned all remove VAT and some like Merlin offer free postage to UAE if over £50 on stuff that is not too heavy (shoes OK). If you keep the value of your purchases below about 900AED you don’t pay import tax to the UAE.
From our experience importing bikes, parts and clothing, savings can vary between 30-50%.
Needless to say if you are importing your own bike, it will arrive in a sturdy cardboard box and you will have to assemble it or find someone to do that for you. As a guide this takes about 30 minutes, so is not terribly complicated. have a look on our Tech section on how to put your bike together.
However you also need to get the bike fitting you properly, for both comfort and to get the best out of the bike and rider. Most of the LBS can offer a fitting service of various degrees of complexity and cost. While it is optimal to get a proper bike fit, it is not that hard to achieve yourself with a little research. There is a load of good information here and there is even an app that can do it for you.
I do know of someone who can do this for you, if you are stuck, usually for a bottle of red grape juice!